Sometimes we tend to get white patches on our tongues. Even though they are harmless, they might look disgusting to some people.
These types of coatings go by the name papillae. The external of the tongue becomes irritated, and it traps the dead cells, bacteria and food scraps between them.
Therefore, these cells cause bad breath and a bitter taste in the mouth.
This condition isn’t very serious because it will pass after some time. Moreover, tongue cleaning and day to day brushing can fasten the process.
These are the frequent causes of papillae:
- Dry mouth
- Regular smoking and drinking
- Candida yeast infection (oral thrush)
- Eating lots of soft or spicy food
- Bad oral hygiene
- Reaction to steroids, antibiotics, or other medicines
- Congenital heart disease
- Bacterial infection
How to Prevent Papillae
- Don’t eat too much dairy products and sugar if you have white patches on your tongue.
- Scrap the patches with a tongue cleaner/ toothbrush. Remember to rinse it between scraping.
- Rich and crunchy fiber foods can clean the white patches, so eat fruits and veggies.
- Brush your teeth twice a day.
- Prevent dehydration by drinking a lot of water. Plus, rinse your mouth not to build up papillae inside.
- After meals use a mouthwash with antiseptic qualities to wash your mouth. This will stop oral thrush which results in white patches on your tongue.
How to Treat White Patches at Home
This is how you can treat this harmless, yet annoying condition at home with the 5 simple home remedies.
1. Oil Pulling
This is a process that helps with removing yeast from the mouth. Yeast causes oral thrush and white patches on the tongue.
Moreover, it is great for removing plaque, tartar and helps with gum disease. So, it is a great method for improving your teeth.
If you use it daily, you will be able to keep a perfect oral hygiene.
You will need 1 tablespoon of sesame oil or extra virgin coconut.
- Rinse your mouth with the oil daily before you brush your teeth.
- Rinse your mouth for 15 min or until it becomes bubbly.
- Don’t swallow; it is full of toxins.
- Throw it in the bin, because it can clog your drain.
- Wash your mouth with warm water and brush your teeth.
Fact: The results are instant, the tongue immediately becomes pinker.
2. Vegetable Glycerin
If you have a problem with a dry mouth and white patches, this cheap remedy is the key. It draws the moisture to the mouth and acts as a humectant which soothes the tongue and gets rid of all the white patches and bad breath.
- Use 1 teaspoon of vegetable glycerin on the tongue.
- Put the glycerin on the toothbrush and brush your tongue for about 30-60 sec.
- Spit it out and rinse your mouth.
You can use it for a week twice a day to get the best results.
The easiest, if not the cheapest method for getting rid of white patches is salt. Moreover, salt can get rid of the toxins and bacteria inside the mouth naturally.
Because of its antiseptic nature, this ingredient is perfect for controlling all the problems for your oral health.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of salt with one glass of warm water.
- Stir until it dissolves.
- Rinse your mouth and gargle for a minute.
It takes a bit longer than the other methods. You need to do it 3-4 days to remove the white patches on the tongue.
Fact: If you don’t dissolve the salt and use it directly on the toothbrush, you will get immediate results. All you need is 1 teaspoon of salt directly on your toothbrush and some warm water to wash it off.
4. Hydrogen Peroxide
This is a perfect way for killing bacteria and even infections. Therefore, it is great for removing the white patches on your tongue.
On top of that, it can bleach your teeth. However, you can only use a small amount of hydrogen peroxide, only 3%.
- 1 tablespoon (3%) hydrogen peroxide
- 1 cup of water
Mix the hydrogen peroxide in the water and use the solution to brush your tongue softly. You can use this remedy once a day for one week. If you use hydrogen peroxide that is diluted, you can whiten your teeth.
However, make sure to wash your toothbrush before and after brushing your tongue and teeth.
5. Probiotics (Acidophilus)
If you have oral thrush or other pathogens, using more bacteria in the mouth that it is beneficial, can be useful for the oral health.
Acidophilus cultures contain good bacteria. These bacteria are more numerous than the fungi.
- After you brush your teeth use 1 capsule at night.
- Combine it with 1 teaspoon of water
- Rinse your mouth 1 minute before you gulp it down.
The next morning you will see immediate results. If you do it for one week, you will remove the infection on your tongue completely.
This supplement can be taken only twice a day for one month. Moreover, it will help the body improve its resistance and improve your gut.
- Add probiotic yogurt to your diet in order to avoid oral thrush.
- Drink green tea. Two or three cups a day can help improve your overall health.
- Consider taking garlic supplements after you consult with your doctor. Because of the antifungal compounds, this supplement can help regulate the fungal infections.